Software for Cray® XC™ Series Supercomputers
Cray® XC40™ systems utilize the Cray Linux® Environment (CLE). CLE is a suite of high performance software that includes a Linux-based operating system designed to run large complex applications and scale efficiently to more than 500,000 processor cores. The Linux environment features a compute kernel that can be configured to match different workloads. When running highly scalable custom applications, the compute nodes can be run in a lightweight mode, ensuring that operating system services do not interfere with application scalability. This special design ensures virtually nothing stands between the user's scalable application and the hardware.
With CLE many independent software vendor (ISV) applications are available "out of the box" under Cluster Compatibility Mode (CCM). In addition, selected ISV applications are highly tuned and available under Extreme Scalability Mode (ESM).
The CLE programming environment includes tools designed to complement and enhance each other, resulting in a rich, easy-to-use programming environment that facilitates the development of scalable applications.
- Parallel programming models: MPI, Cray SHMEM, UPC, OpenMP and Co-Array Fortran within the node
- MPI 2.0 standard, optimized to take advantage of the scalable interconnect in Cray XC40 systems
- Various MPI libraries supported under Cluster Compatibility Mode
- Support for the ISO Fortran standard (2008) including parallel programming using coarrays, C/C++ and UPC
- High performance optimized math libraries of BLAS, FFTs, LAPACK, ScaLAPACK, SuperLU and Cray scientific libraries
- Cray Performance Tool Suite with CrayPAT™ and Cray Apprentice2™
Cray is a joint founding member of OpenACC, an organization that is driving a new directives-based open parallel programming standard enabling scientific and technical programmers to more easily leverage the performance optimization capabilities of hybrid CPU/GPU computing systems. Learn more by visiting www.OpenACC.org.
Cray Hardware Supervisory System (HSS) — system monitoring, fault identification, and recovery
Typical Applications Available Under ESM
A few of the HPC industry applications that may be run on Cray XC systems include:
- Astrophysics: Cactus, Chimera, Gadget, QCD-Milc, ZEUS-MP
- Chemistry/Materials: ABINIT, AMBER, CPMD, DCA++, GAMESS, Gromacs, LAMMPS, LS3DF, LSMS, Madness, NWCHEM, PARATEC, Qbox, Quantum Espresso, Siesta, TBMD, VASP
- Climate/Weather: 4DVAR, CAM, CCSM, HIRLAM, HYCOM, MM5, POP, WRF
- Fluid Mechanics/Combustion: AcuSolve, DNS, OpenFOAM, Overflow, PFLOTRAN, S3D
- Fusion: Aorsa, GTC
- Solid Mechanics: CTH, LS-DYNA