Cray has an opening for a Benchmarking Performance Engineer. This position entails system performance analysis, optimization, and project coordination required to achieve Cray’s sales and marketing goals. The successful candidate will possess high performance computing (HPC) system and network knowledge and expertise along with strong interpersonal skills. Candidates having a subset of the qualifications with a demonstrated willingness and ability to learn are encouraged to apply.
Cray’s business is dynamic and fast-paced. Cray seeks motivated engineers who will consistently deliver the high-quality results demanded by Cray’s HPC customers. Clear, independent thinking and innovative approaches to solving problems are highly valued. Cray emphasizes a constructive, results-oriented approach to work.
The primary duties will include:
• Working across groups at Cray to facilitate the availability of system benchmark resources to support Cray’s sales, business development and marketing goals. This includes providing justification and planning for benchmark system acquisitions and deployment.
• Troubleshooting HW, SW and application issues [sometimes independently, frequently with other Cray employees], identify solutions, defining action plans, and helping coordinate and deliver optimal benchmark results and solutions.
• Providing system tuning and low-level performance measurements for new system architectures with a focus on performance analysis and extracting optimal performance from systems incorporating high-end networks.
• Completing performance benchmark tests in a timely manner, often under short deadlines, to support Cray system sales and internal product decisions.
• Coordinate configuration, setup and scheduling of benchmark systems.
• Coordinate groups of benchmark engineers providing technical responses to RFPs.
• Maintaining responsive, collaborative interactions with Cray partners.
• Providing high quality technical support for Cray’s Sales, Business Development and Marketing activities.
• Experience with HPC cluster systems, including hardware architectural components, processor and accelerator technology; Linux HPC system performance and tuning. A demonstrated ability to extract optimal performance from high-end Infiniband clusters.
• The willingness and ability to recognize and address issues encountered when working with leading edge technology, to work under demanding deadlines, and to coordinate multiple tasks in a fast-paced challenging environment.
• Ability to work independently and with small teams to facilitate efficient completion of short and long-term projects that span across internal organizations.
• Two or more years of experience analyzing and optimizing networks and system software on HPC Linux/Unix systems. Experience with HPC systems; coursework and internship experience are considered relevant.
• Keen analytical skills, problem-solving ability and an ability to make decisions based on incomplete information.
• Willingness to work in new areas, possibly outside your area of expertise.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• College degree, preferably advanced, in a technical field (Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Finance, Data Science, etc.)
This position is located at Cray’s Minnesota facility and will involve periods of fast-paced work and demanding deadlines, sometimes requiring off-hours work. The ability to work on multiple tasks and work independently is required. Some travel may be required [<10%].