The role is to provide on-site level 1 support for Cray, including both hardware and software, for massively parallel (MPP) supercomputer systems, clusters and storage systems. The position will mainly be based at a customer site in Offenbach, near Frankfurt, Germany but may involve occasional travel to other sites as required. The focus of the role is to provide highly visible customer technical support in a small team under minimal supervision to one of our highly- valued customers who operates several Cray computing systems in a mission critical environment. The position is responsible for resolving mainly customer or occasional field reported cases within a defined timeframe using standard processes and managing a queue of cases. The position requires excellent customer service skills, communication skills towards our customers and Cray internal teams, for instance the ability to handle customers dealing with any kind of issues, interaction with the customer in technical meetings, reporting, the ability to work with other departments at Cray and multitasking to manage and balance a varying workload.
This position requires the readiness to undergo a security clearance and the availability to take part in a 24/7 on-call rota.
The role also requires the full understanding of Cray support processes, support offerings, customer agreements and entitlements. Additionally, the role requires full documentation of closed cases and the creation of articles for a knowledge article database.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for providing quality technical support onsite or occasionally via online support tools and telephone.
• Answers customer inquiries concerning system software, hardware, to resolve problems.
• Process customer returns
• Manage assigned cases in order to meet service levels as defined in the Customer’s Service Level Agreement.
• Escalates problems to product L2/ L3 support groups and appropriate management to ensure timely resolution of system or customer issues
• Occasional travel is required
• Responsible for customer interactions/ communications related to support cases
• Active participation in regular service status meetings with the customer
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written skills (e.g., documentation, case notes, defect reports, knowledge base articles, etc.)
• Develop, demonstrate and maintain technical skills including troubleshooting, data analysis, code debugging, test scenario creation and testing
• Responsible for meeting or exceeding established customer satisfaction ratings
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field/ discipline or equivalent experience and skill-level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledgeable with Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, workload managers (preferably PBS-pro), cluster management systems, networking and security
• Acquaintance with specific needs of HPC users preferred
• Understanding of server components including motherboards, memory and storage, network switches
• Command line Linux skills and Linux system administration required
• General understanding of analog and digital circuit theory and principles
• Programming and scripting knowledge or experience (e.g. Perl, Python, C++, etc.) preferred
• Ability to gather data, perform analysis and escalate to a higher level of support when necessary
• Organizational skills that support taking an analytical approach to problems and driving solutions to problems through to their conclusion
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment to investigate and resolve problems as part of a team.
• Very good communication skills, both verbal and written
• Very good interpersonal skills and an outgoing attitude, customer relations skills and problem management skills, with the ability to stay calm and professional under pressure while working to strict deadlines.
• Comfortable working in high stress environments
• Able to manage your own time and prioritize tasks
• Remote customer service experience (by telephone or other)
• Self-motivated, willing to take the initiative to solve a problem
• Fluent German is essential, good/ very good command of English is required
• Ability to lift up to 35 lbs/14 kg overhead
Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.