Software Engineer - Call Home Development
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray has an opening on our call-home platform team for a software engineer. This position will focus on development and integration of Cray’s call-home platforms (legacy and new) with Cray compute, storage, and analytics products. This position will be working with an established team and project. The position will work closely with system architects, and other ‘back-end’ teams to build, deploy, and maintain highly available, distributed software solutions.
• 8+ years of industry experience
• A BS and/or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
• Commitment to sound software engineering practices
• Solid written and verbal communication skills
• Outstanding problem solving skills
• Ability to participate in a one-week 24x7 on-call rotation every 5-6 weeks for system triage
• Experience developing production HTTP APIs
• Experience working with JSON and related tools
• Experience with and competence with test-driven development methodologies
• Considerable experience developing in Linux Environments
• Experience and comfort with distributed network services and network concepts
• Considerable development experience in Python
• Experience deploying software using Docker Containers
• Experience with at least one source control system (Git preferred)
• Experience and/or desire to use Agile Development Methodologies
Preference may be given to candidates who also have:
• Experience developing software for multi-tenant environments
• Experience with Kubernetes
• Experience with OAuth2
• Experience with Kong API HTTP Gateways or HTTP Reverse Proxy Services in General
• Experience with S3-Compliant Object Storage Services (e.g., MinIO, AWS S3, Ceph)
• Experience with Ansible or Similar Orchestration Platforms
• Experience with Kafka specifically, message bus patterns in general
• Experience working with Private Key Infrastructure (PKI) Technologies and Techniques
• Experience with Jenkins or other CI/CD pipeline tools
• Experience with operating system virtualization (Vagrant, KVM, VMWare, VirtualBox)
• Experience with Atlassian Development Tools: JIRA, BitBucket, Confluence
• Experience with Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud
• Experience with IM Tools like HipChat or Slack
• Software Project or Team Leadership Experience
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.