Global Remote Service Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray Global Technical Support (GTS) has an immediate opening for a remote service engineer with broad multi-system environment knowledge (generalist) to join our Global Remote Service (GRS) team. Under minimal supervision, this position provides highly visible end-user remote software and hardware technical support on Cray supercomputer, analytics, cluster compute and storage systems.
• Provide remote technical product support to Cray end-users who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing, and debugging complex software, compute, and I/O subsystems via Cray diagnostic and remote support tools and/or telephone.
• Identify Cray system hardware and software as well third-party hardware and software issues. Determine solutions and implement repairs or workarounds. This includes effectively managing the break fix process by applying updates and patches, or initiating spares parts orders, arranging for on-site engineering support (as required) and managing open RMAs.
• Resolve incidents within a defined time-frame using standard processes and managing a queue of cases, bugs, and projects.
• Document all significant events related to customer problems and providing timely updates to customers and management.
• Develop, demonstrate and maintain technical skills including troubleshooting, data analysis, code debugging, test scenario creation, and testing.
• Work with various other Cray teams, including but not limited to; GRS peers, Cray Level 2, Cray Level 1 Site-Field, Publications, Training, Support Planning, Testing and Cray R&D.
• Author and review knowledge articles, field notices and patch requests.
• Participate in occasional customer installations, upgrades and training (remote and on-site).
• Provide on-call services on a rotation basis.
Background and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field/discipline.
• 7+ years of experience, ideally in a High-Performance Compute (HPC) – related area.
• Decision quality demonstrated through excellent troubleshooting skills (software and hardware) and taking an analytical approach to problems and driving solutions to problems through to their conclusion.
• Knowledge and experience of Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, networking and security.
• Programming and scripting knowledge and experience (e.g. Bash, Perl, Python, etc.)
• Familiarity with Lustre or other parallel filesystems.
• Ability to gather data, perform analysis, document findings and escalate to a higher level of support while remaining engaged in the final outcome.
• Knowledge of and experience in maintaining system hardware and software, utilizing diagnostic tools and debugging tools for problem isolation. Performs software builds, software upgrades, patch installation and hardware repairs (swapping boards, etc.) as needed.
• Action oriented; candidates must demonstrate self-motivation, be able to coordinate efforts with other groups, including: customers, peers, field personnel, hardware product support, R&D, and 3rd-party vendor personnel.
• Very good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Customer focus to meet the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers by building effective, respectful and trusting relationships and uses first-hand information to help improve products and services.
• Maintains composure by remaining cool under pressure, does not become defensive, can be counted on in tough times, handles stress and the unexpected, provides a settling influence while working to strict deadlines.
• Time management: Uses time effectively and efficiently, concentrates on important priorities, can attend to a broad range of activities
• Some travel may be required periodically.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a global team environment to investigate and resolve complex problems.
Additional desired skills:
• Acquaintance with specific needs of HPC users desired.
• Networking skills (Omni Path, InfiniBand) a plus.
• Familiarity working with Containers (Docker, Shifter) desired.
• Working experience with Kubernetes, RESTful APIs desired.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.