Senior Systems Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray is looking for a detail-oriented, hands-on, results-driven individual with proven communication skills and a strong work ethic to work in a challenging, fast-paced, energetic environment. As a Senior Systems Engineer, we need someone to validate, and support Cray’s high-performance computer systems. A successful Engineer is involved with software and hardware efforts and possesses a broad set of skills and capabilities. This position carries an array of responsibilities and emphases, working with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, regularly interacts with manufacturing engineers, service teams, and customer-facing groups to define, integrate, and validate compute servers.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a fast-paced, small dynamic environment. The growing team is transitioning rapidly to Agile Scrum and Kanban delivery methods.
• Lead task focused teams, driving/guiding team efforts, providing effective communication, and documents results.
• Drive and contribute to the development of next generation system specifications and designs.
○ Strong experience with selecting, qualifying, and productizing new server hardware and components.
○ Qualify leading-edge hardware and firmware technologies at component and platform levels.
○ Drive technical issues to closure by working with internal and field engineers to identify, track, root cause, and resolve issues.
• Track and drive the resolution of issues, execute hands-on testing and debugging to root cause.
○ Execute and analyze power and performance benchmark tests on new server hardware.
○ Refine standard tests to drive improvements in new technologies and more effectively meet customers’ needs.
○ Solid understanding of X86 server architecture and components.
○ Work directly on development and deployment of new server hardware and firmware (BIOS/DMI/FRU).
• Define BIOS parameters and configuration for optimal system performance.
• Create documentation, system specifications, test plans, test reports, and customer instructions.
• Scripting of automated test cases and system performance data collection.
○ Provide support to manufacturing and customer service teams internally.
• BSEE (or equivalent experience) plus 10+ years working in computer system design, test, and support, with systems engineering experience.
• Experience in task leadership, guiding a multi-faceted team assembled from various internal and external organizations.
• Working knowledge of computer architecture, high performance computer systems, accelerators and networks.
○ Ability to troubleshoot x86-based systems; diagnose hardware and software issues.
○ Proficiency with administration of a variety of operating systems, including, Windows, RedHat, and SuSE, Linux-based distributions.
○ Working knowledge of server management interfaces (PMBus, IPMI, Redfish etc.).
○ Solid system diagnostic skills and must have a good working knowledge of computer architecture, including CPUs, memory SMBIOS, BMC, PSU and Power Distribution.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
○ Self-starter that is highly motivated, process driven with attention to detail.
○ Basic Python knowledge is preferred, but not required.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.