Software Engineer, Storage
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray has an opening for a highly skilled and self-motivated engineer to join our rapidly growing Storage team. Successful candidates will have a background in designing and implementing storage systems and/or system management software.
We are looking for an engineer who will be:
• Doing development on a brand new product
• Writing new code, not modifying an existing system
• Implementing in a REST-based microservices system architecture
• Leading on the implementation of one of the system components
• Working with 3rd-party vendors to assist with product integration
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Experience with Storage Systems and System Management software
• Experience in scalable distributed file system architecture
• Proficiency in C and python
• Knowledge of Linux and/or Unix internals
• Good understanding of HPC storage systems and related technologies
• Experience in systems performance analysis and tuning
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Self-motivated and pro-active with demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills
• Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to work well in an Agile development environment, both within and across teams
• Demonstrated technical leadership
Background and Skills:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
• 10+ years of industry experience, 5+ years in development of Storage Systems
• Experience with using Linux Docker Containers
• Experience with Kubernetes and related technologies
• Experience with Network technologies such as InfiniBand, Ethernet, and OPA
• Experience with Lustre file systems
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.