Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray Inc. has an opening in the Hardware R&D organization for a Signal Integrity Engineer. This position is part of a diverse team of engineers that support the design, validation, scaling, deployment, and support of high performance computer systems, and involves the performance characterization of materials and structures used in the electrical signaling designs for large High Performance Computing (HPC) systems for Cray's future HPC product designs. To accomplish this work, specific laboratory, analysis, and RF/microwave knowledge and expertise are desired. Candidate should understand how to analyze and improve cross-talk, insertion loss, return loss, impedance discontinuities, etc. This position requires familiarity with modeling and simulation tools such as Hspice, MATLAB, ADS, Ansys SiWave, or similar tools. Candidate should be experienced in correlating simulation results with lab measurements and should be proficient in the use of the corresponding lab equipment.
• Design and analyze industry-leading multi-gigabit electrical and optical channels and memory interface channels
• Create PCB signal integrity design rules, stackup, and connector pinout recommendations
• Analyze and evaluate electrical characteristics of advanced IC packaging designs
• Work in a thriving, high-tech, team-oriented environment
• Collaborate with experienced members of the Signal Integrity team
• Carefully follow detailed instructions and procedures
• Stay focused on a given task until completion
• Work with complex, high-end test and measurement equipment
• Capture results in detailed and accurate formal reports
• Program and script automated test cases and system performance data collection
• BSEE in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of experience, or MSEE with 8 years of experience in a related technical field
• Excellent troubleshooting skill are necessary to this job
• Knowledge of high performance computer systems and networks helpful
• Familiarity with common electrical measurements: impedance, TDR, S-parameters
• Ability to use sensitive, complex test equipment
• Experience with electrical modeling/simulation tools
• An understanding of the issues affecting high-frequency electrical performance
• Knowledge and experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, networking, is a plus
• Facility with Microsoft Word and Excel
• The ability to quickly learn new skills
• Experience in at least one common scripting language (e.g. perl, bash, Python).
• Strong written and oral communication skills, and good teamwork, are necessary
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.