Lead Systems Analyst
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Lead role in providing highly visible on-site customer support through the performance of on-site installation, servicing and maintenance of complex Cray products and systems. You are responsible for understanding and complying with Cray internal controls.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides pre-sale and/or post-sale support of company products/systems
· Provides technical support for presentations, product demonstrations, installation and maintenance of company products to ensure that the system is functioning according to specifications
· Analyzes system software, third-party software and application issues. Determines solutions and implements repair or workarounds when possible
· Escalates problems to product support groups and appropriate management to ensure timely resolution of system or customer issues
· Provides technical support for both hardware and software in sales presentations, product demonstrations, installation and maintenance of company products to ensure the system is functioning according to specifications
· Provides answers to customer inquiries concerning system software and applications
· Provides software development and consultation to prospective users
· Checks out and approves operational quality of system equipment and software
· Instructs customers in the operation and maintenance of the system Serves as company liaison with customer on administrative and technical matters for assigned projects and team
· Interface with the customer user communities to address the various issues and concerns they are encountering
· Interface with the various Cray support communities to properly resolve the issues raised by customer
Background and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
· 12+ years of HPC-related experience
· Knowledge and experience of Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, networking and security
· Acquaintance with specific needs of HPC users
· Programming and scripting knowledge and experience (e.g. Perl, Python, C++, etc.)
· Ability to gather data and perform in-depth root cause analysis, and escalate to the next level of support for Engineering with recommendation for resolution
· Ability to maintain system software, utilizing debugging tools and application of appropriate methodologies for problem isolation. Performs software builds, software upgrades, and patch installation as needed
· In-depth knowledge of system hardware architecture
· Organizational skills that support taking an analytical approach to problems and driving solutions to problems through to their conclusion
· Ability to function as leader of team in investigating and resolving complex problems
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
· Excellent leadership, interpersonal, customer relations and problem management skills, with the ability to stay calm and professional under pressure while working to strict deadlines
· In role as team lead, ability to mentor other technical support staff, coordinating all hardware site activities and serving as liaison to customer.
· In Team Lead role, assess and prioritize activities for team
· In team lead role, develop and maintain site specific metrics to measure performance
· Promote continuous process, procedural and efficiency improvements
· Lead customer meetings including quarterly management meetings with the customer
· In team lead role, evaluate the team and develop training and other plans to prepare the team for success
· Must be willing to debug issues in areas that you have no previous experience with. Must be willing to jump into the fire
· Must have experience: C, shell programming
· Nice to have experience: Slurm, Shmem, MPI, UPC, Python
· Occasional travel for training or to help support remote systems is required
· Rotation of on-call duties with other staff to provide 24x7 coverage
· Top Secret (SCI) with Full Scope Poly required
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.