NIC Diagnostic Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The engineer will be working in a fast-paced environment with other engineers using Agile methodologies. They will be responsible for the definition, debug, and potentially generation of out-of-band (i2c/JTAG) and in-band (PCIe) C-code and as such will be responsible for writing and maintaining clear and concise design documentation. The engineer will directly participate in the product definition, implementation, and bring-up effort as a member of a cross-functional, multi-site team and as such must possess strong oral communications skills. The engineer will develop C++ code based on multiple sources including internal Cray technical documentation, schematics and hardware/software engineer discussions. This senior level position will help to mentor other team members by providing design review comments and code suggestions in a collaborative environment. The code to be written will execute on a 64-bit ARM, Intel Xeon and AMD x64 processors.
The engineer will develop diagnostics for the board and chip-level implementation of Cray designed Ethernet capable hardware. As such the engineer should be very conversant in the requirements for analog/high speed differential signaling as well as the digital/Ethernet components of such designs. The engineer should have experience in libfabric/OpenFabric interfaces and/or OpenMPI/MPI. The engineer will also be working with our Linux OS and BIOS OPROM driver teams to debug and improve functionality of their drivers.
Background and Skills:
• BSEE/CE, BSCS with strong hardware background or equivalent
• Expert C++ programmer with at least 5 years of industry experience
• Expert Python programmer with at least 5 years of industry experience
• 5+ years of writing and debugging low-level software for hardware
• 5+ years NIC, Ethernet, and SERDES development and debug experience
• 5+ years of Linux usage experience
• 5+ years using source control (e.g. Git, GitHub, etc)
• 1+ years of device driver development experience, preferably on Linux
• Experience in libfabric/OpenFabric interfaces and/or OpenMPI/MPI
• Experience with serial protocol methods, especially out-of-band configuration, control, and diagnostics
• Very strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to mentor team members through design and code reviews
• Self-starter that can interpret and as necessary generate design ideas and documentation based on requirements, specification documents, schematics, external designs and team conversations
• Proficiency in the development of unit and regression test of low-level software
• At least 3 years of Silicon/Board bring-up experience
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.