Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
The Technical Writer II creates conceptual, operational, maintenance, or diagnostic content for multimedia or web-based publication that helps our customers use Cray technology to solve their most challenging computational problems. The candidate’s primary responsibility is to plan and develop original technical content based on information gathered through research, interviews with SMEs, and tests run on prototype systems. This position is responsible for understanding and complying with Cray internal controls.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work closely with R&D project teams and other stakeholders to create and maintain high-quality documentation for Cray products
• Conduct research by reviewing design documents, interviewing engineers, reading source code, and running tests on prototype systems
• Write original technical content based on research and user stories
• Keep up to date with product feature changes, user stories, and support issues
• Following department processes and best practices, create publications that conform to style guidelines and standards
• Identify and help implement improvements in department processes and best practices
• Communicate with manager – not just progress but also ideas, issues, and concerns
• Willing and able to help newer writers
Background and Skills:
• BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
• Five years of related experience
• XML, DITA, CCMS
• Knowledge of Linux operating systems both as a user and as a writer for system administrators, application developers, and end users
• Understanding of user-centric design and user experience as well as usability tenets
• Manage a schedule of tasks with minimal supervision and work well under pressure
• Possess an aptitude for learning new tools and technologies quickly
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain communication with SMEs and other project team members
• Experience in HPC is a plus
• eLearning and video experience are a plus
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.