Benchmark Performance Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray has an opening for a high performance computing (HPC) Benchmarking Performance Engineer to work with HPC standard and scientific application benchmarks on Cray supercomputers. This position entails working with performance analysis tools, implementing creative optimization techniques, and achieving optimal benchmark and application performance on Cray supercomputers targeted for deployment at various customer sites around the world.
The successful candidate will possess strong technical abilities that include HPC scientific application software experience, as well as HPC hardware, software and architectural knowledge. In addition, the ideal candidate will also have great interpersonal skills that will fit in well with the Cray team. Candidates having a subset of the qualifications listed below, with a demonstrated willingness and ability to learn are encouraged to apply.
Cray’s business is dynamic and fast-paced. Cray seeks motivated engineers who will consistently deliver the high-quality results demanded by Cray’s HPC customers. Clear, independent thinking and innovative approaches to solving problems are highly valued. Cray emphasizes a constructive, results-oriented approach to work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Completing HPC standard and application performance benchmark tests in a timely manner, often under short deadlines, to support Cray internal product decisions and system sales. This will involve porting and building scientific application software, using performance analysis tools to gather information, understanding detailed performance characteristics from data gathered on HPC systems, and applying that gathered information and technical analysis to implement performance optimizations and complete assigned work.
• Understanding HPC architectural components and features and the ability to convey that technical information to users as well as utilize that knowledge in everyday work assignments.
• Collaborating closely with colleagues across Cray, as well as peers outside the company, to produce optimal performance results for programs run on Cray systems.
• Responding to requests for specific technical information and assistance; relay customer requirements back to development and help drive necessary enhancements to software.
• Troubleshooting HW, SW and application issues [sometimes independently, frequently with other Cray employees], identify solutions, defining action plans, and helping coordinate and deliver optimal benchmark results and solutions.
• Developing and maintaining working relationships with technical counterparts at Cray vendors and partners.
• Providing high quality technical support for Cray’s Sales, Business Development and Marketing activities.
• The ideal candidate will have an extensive background in working with scientific applications on HPC computer systems and be able to apply this technical expertise to successfully deliver optimal benchmark performance on Cray systems. Candidates having a subset of the qualifications with a demonstrated propensity to learn will be considered.
• A university degree in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry, or other technical field is required (MS or PhD preferred).
• Multi-year experience with porting and optimizing highly parallel scientific applications on Linux-based systems. Experience with HPC systems; applicable course work, and internship experience are considered relevant.
• Proficiency with running large scientific applications on large HPC systems.
• Proficiency with scientific/engineering languages [C++, C, modern Fortran, Python, MPI, OpenMP, etc.].
• Proficiency with the use of performance analysis tools, compiler tools, and debuggers.
• Proficiency with programming for CPUs as well as GPUS.
• An understanding of HPC systems architectures and interconnects.
• Ability to work with scientific application code targeted for future processors.
• A good understanding of I/O and storage, and ability to analyze and optimize I/O performance on HPC systems.
• Keen analytical skills and problem solving ability.
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and adapt to change in a fast-paced challenging environment.
• Ability to work independently to facilitate efficient completion of short and long-term projects.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work within a team to complete tasks on schedule.
• Ability to recognize and address issues encountered when working with leading edge technology.
• Some off-hours work will be required.
• Some travel may be required (<10%).
• This position is targeted to be located at Cray’s Bloomington, Minnesota offices.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.