Senior Linux Kernel Engineer – Storage
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray has an opening for a motivated and skilled Senior Linux Kernel Engineer, to join the ClusterStor Datapath Team. The selected candidate will be responsible for working with the team to improve and expand our Linux software stack and help us support a wide range of new hardware and software technologies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collecting requirements and proposing design alternatives for OS components.
• Designing and/or implementing solutions for OS capabilities or subsystems.
• Root cause analysis and resolution of OS related issues.
Background and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field/ discipline or equivalent experience and skill-level, 10-15 years of experience.
• High proficiency in C.
• Demonstrated experience with Linux kernel development and debug.
• Ability to complete tasks on time.
• Ability to work in a team environment with others of varying skill levels and also work well alone.
• Ability to communicate information and ideas so others can understand.
• Ability to write appropriate project documentation.
• Linux driver development
• Experience working with open source software communities
• Experience with storage datapath (md RAID, block, SCSI/SAS, NVMe) subsystems
• Experience with high speed networking (Infiniband and Omnipath) on Linux
• Experience with ZFS (OpenZFS, ZFS on Linux) development a plus
• Additional languages: bash, Python
• Knowledge of High-Performance Computing
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.