HPC Systems Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Under minimal supervision, provides highly visible on-site customer support through the performance of on-site installation, servicing and repair of complex Cray equipment and systems. Provides both hardware and software technical support and maintenance for Cray’s massively parallel computer systems.
Responsible for understanding and complying with Cray internal controls.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides pre-sale and/or post-sale support of company products/systems
· Provides technical support for presentations, product demonstrations, installation and maintenance of company products to ensure that the system is functioning according to specifications
· Analyzes system software, third-party software and hardware issues. Determines solution and implements repair or workaround when possible
· Escalates problems to product support groups and appropriate management to ensure timely resolution of system or customer issues
· Answers customer inquiries concerning system software, hardware and applications
· Provides software development and consultation to prospective users
· Checks out and approves operational quality of system equipment and software
· Instructs customers in system operation and maintenance
· Provides both remote and on-site responses to calls for assistance and service
· Responsible for utilizing and managing maintenance software and diagnostics tools
· Effectively manage spares inventory including: buffer spares and replacement parts
Background and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field/discipline
· 5+ years of experience, ideally in an HPC-related area
· Knowledge and experience of Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, networking and security
· Acquaintance with specific needs of HPC users desired
· Programming and scripting knowledge and experience (e.g. Perl, Python, C++, etc.)
· Ability to gather data, perform analysis and escalate to a higher level of support
· Knowledge of and experience in maintaining system hardware and software, utilizing diagnostic tools and debugging tools for problem isolation. Performs software builds, software upgrades, patch installation and hardware repairs (swapping boards, etc.) as needed
· Organizational skills that support taking an analytical approach to problems and driving solutions to problems through to their conclusion
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment to investigate and resolve complex problems as part of a team.
· Very good communication skills, both verbal and written
· Very good interpersonal skills, customer relations skills and problem management skills, with the ability to stay calm and professional under pressure while working to strict deadlines.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.