Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Who You Are
As a member of the Venture Labs Team, this Senior Technical Program Manager is responsible for coordinating, defining and specifying the technical requirements, interfaces/APIs, and layers of systems leveraging emerging and modern cluster, hardware and software technologies in existing and opportunistic markets and solution integrations in a critical, fast-paced and agile engineering team. This Senior Program Manager will be expected to work on solutions and integrations across Networking, Storage, Compute and 3rd party systems – working with engineers inside Cray and outside. This Senior Program Manager’s key to success is collaborating across the HPC industry to assemble technical objectives and execute Responsibilities will include assembling systems from open-source, licensed software, development components and mixes of System networking and compute hardware. Solutions and successful execution will be heavily dependent on development and operational experience with creative mixture of components. The successful candidate will also leverage proven Agile experience to consistently identify innovative and measurable results across frequent high-visibility milestones.
Position responsibilities include:
• Participating in a small fast-paced engineering team working together to solve critical blocking issues, identify potential risks and establish consistent cadence of objective
• Manages complex development programs and integrated development teams to successfully deliver new product introductions with regard to schedule, quality, and cost objectives
• Leverages key principles of Agile and Scrum methodology to facilitate fast-paced and predictable execution, achievement of objective, measurable goals and product/solution demos
• Executes direct and effective communication with development, product, operations and internal corporate functions
• Develops and maintains relationships within partner’s organizations, as well as preparing & presenting briefings and partner program status reviews
• Monitors the product/program/project from initiation through delivery, interfacing with partners and vendors on technical matters
• Manages people for product development programs or projects involving department or cross-functional operations teams focused on the delivery of a product or computer-based system through the design process, and into a finished state for external customers
• Plans and directs resource schedules as well as project budgets
• Assigns, monitors and prioritizes work of operations’ staff providing technical direction and support
• Responsible for understanding and complying with the Cray system of internal controls. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. Assess risks and implement risk management plans as required. Effective and timely resolution of technical and personnel issues
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in business or manufacturing engineering or equivalent experience. At this level, graduate coursework may be desirable
• 15+ years of related experience
• Networking (Layer 2-4) knowledge and operations experience is critical
• Experience with OVSDB, OpenFlow, IF-Map, SDN-oriented Network orchestration
• Proven operational experience in a datacenter with management networks, storage arrays, cluster management, authentication and authorization
• Experience identifying, mitigating and addressing performance, scale and reliability issues, root cause analysis, and measurable goals/limits
• Strong experience with Systems Management software, DevOps, API-driven automation
• Experience with AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Compute Platform a plus
• Experience with large cluster applications, grid-computing, and/or HPC a plus
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team environment
• The ability to understand the issues related to supporting distributed systems, scale-out availability system management, event routing, high availability, and development around out-of-band monitoring
• Senior technical leadership experience driving implementation and formulation of architectural solutions
• Aiding managers with planning of projects (Use of MS-Project, Confluence or JIRA is a plus)
• Commitment to sound system engineering principles and a demonstrated knowledge of the full development lifecycle – Agile development expertise is critical
• Outstanding problem-solving skills
• Ability to work well in a cooperative development environment, both within and across teams
• Fearless and willing to take on any engineering challenge
• Very strong leadership and mentoring skills
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.