Senior Systems Software Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
We are seeking a Sr. Systems Software Engineer to join our Core Operating Systems team. This team develops, debugs, and maintains all aspects of the systems software that operates on the compute plane of our next generation Shasta supercomputing product. You will integrate with this highly agile Scrum team to provide new and innovative solutions to continually evolving customer and internally driven requirements. You will not only help to keep the team up with community and industry trends and practices, but attempt to set them.
• BS and/or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field.
• At least 8 years experience developing systems software.
• Experience with DevOps and orchestration services (Ansible, Kubernetes, etc).
• Experience with Jenkins.
• Experience with container-based technologies such as Docker.
• Significant experience working with Linux, including kernel, utilities, installation, administration, etc.
• Experience in operating system architecture and internals is a plus.
• High proficiency in C and Python.
• Experience with software packaging is a plus.
• Experience with unit, functional, and test-driven development.
• Experience with git.
• Experience working in and with Agile in production environments.
• Experience with the Atlassian tool set is a plus – BitBucket, Jira, and Confluence.
• Commitment to sound software engineering principles.
• Outstanding problem solving skills.
• Ability to work well in a cooperative development environment, both within and across teams.
• Solid written and verbal communications skills.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.