Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
We are seeking a Customer Service Systems Engineer. Will provide approximately 75% hardware and 25% software technical support and maintenance for Cray Inc. massively parallel (MPP) or Cluster systems.
In this role you will be responsible for:
· Analyzing mostly system hardware and some software issues. Determining solution and implementing repair or workaround when possible.
· Escalating problems to product support groups and appropriate management to ensure timely resolution of system or customer issues.
· Answering customer inquiries concerning system software, hardware and applications.
· Checking out and approving operational quality of system equipment and software.
· Instructing customers in system operation and maintenance.
· Utilizing and managing maintenance software and diagnostics tools.
Key Qualifications include:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical degree, or equivalent of education and experience.
· 5+ years of experience, preferable in an HPC-related area.
· HPC Hardware/Technical background with the ability to troubleshoot and isolate failures.
· Knowledge and experience of Linux/Unix operating systems, file systems, networking and security.
· Understanding of basic OS architectures along with basic Linux skills to support troubleshooting and other support related needs.
· Basic shell programing and use an editor such as 'vi'.
· Acquaintance with specific needs of HPC users desired.
· Ability to gather data, perform analysis and escalate to a higher level of support.
· Detail oriented with the ability/motivation to uncover issues before they become impactful to the system.
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment to investigate and resolve complex problems as part of a team.
· Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Good interpersonal skills, customer relations skills and problem management skills, with the ability to stay calm and professional under pressure while working to strict deadlines.
· Occasional travel for training or to help support remote systems is required.
· Must be willing to share on-call duties with other staff to provide 24x7 support.
· Must have a Top Secret (SCI) with Full Scope Poly.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.