Cloud DevOps Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
We’re hiring for a Full Stack Engineer position on our Cloud team. The primary responsibilities of the position will be to develop software solutions for the Cray high performance computing environment, help to design and build integrations with the public cloud, and to provide a depth of modern design principles for the purpose of aiding in the modernization of the existing Cray code base.
This position is first and foremost a development role, but it also requires other work including Kubernetes operation; deployment; and automation, public cloud architecture and automation, and familiarity with other systems such as Etcd, Istio, or Jenkins. We do most of our code development in Python, Node.JS, or Go.
We expect there to be a learning curve for anyone stepping in to work on these systems. We don’t need someone that has master level skills in all of these technologies, but we do need someone that is a seasoned software developer and experienced in Kubernetes and container technologies.
We’re looking for someone that likes to solve problems and who is comfortable diving into an existing code base to understand it and figure out how to improve it. At Cray, we know where we need to go, and we need smart people to help us figure out how to get there.
We need candidates that:
• have strong technical and interpersonal skills, a passion for cloud technology, full-stack development, and an interest in the world of HPC.
• are able to help define, develop, and deploy Cray’s software offerings as we move towards a more micro-services, API-centric model.
• can work with other members of Cray’s global R&D organization to help define key cloud enablement aspects for Cray’s portfolio of supercomputers and big data storage and analytics and help drive their implementation across the Cray R&D organization.
Don’t be intimidated by these requirements. If this position sounds fun to you, but you’re concerned that you might not check every box, we want to hear from you.
With that in mind, this position requires:
• A Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering or equivalent job-related experience.
• Experience in operating and using Kubernetes.
• 5-10 years of experience in designing, developing, and supporting large scale, multi-tenant software platforms, ideally through a well-supported API.
• Experience with deploying and managing services in GCP, AWS, Azure, or OpenStack.
• Experience developing robust APIs and providing implementations using a micro-services architecture model.
• Experience with a modern, full-stack CI toolchain on a public cloud provider.
• Experience in automating large-scale deployments with modern tools (Ansible, etc.).
• Experience with container solutions such as Docker.
• Great verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and organization.
**Can be located in Minneapolis area, Seattle area, Longmont (CO) area, Austin (TX) area, Pleasanton or San Jose (CA) area. Remote work options are also available.
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.