ClusterStor Data Services Senior Engineer
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Drive forward the ClusterStor Data Services (CDS) portfolio as a senior team member, architectural contributor, and hands-on developer
• Lead the effort for a substantial re-architecture and re-write of Cray’s data movement software framework (“Connector”)
• Contribute broadly across the CDS project as a cross-functional team member in a dynamic Agile culture
• Work with Cray’s key customers through joint development projects and working groups
• Mentor and support other members of the ClusterStor Data Services team
• Work with Product Management to interpret and refine requirements
• Work with Product Owners to maintain the technical product roadmap, refine the estimation model, plan releases, and elaborate the work plan for development sprints
• Develop and document high level architectural designs and baseline based on peer review
• Develop and integrate code, including unit tests, regression test suit and documentation
• Produce incremental software releases as part of an evolving prototype system
Work closely with customers on projects related to the Data Services portfolio
Background and Skills:
• Working in a Linux development environment
• Developing scalable, distributed, highly-available applications with C, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Kong, Rook, Kata Containers, Kafka; experience with Rust is desirable
• Working with collaborative development tools, including source control (git), build, and automation tools (Jenkins, Vagrant, Terraform)
• Experience producing software in an Agile development culture employing successful continuous integration/continuous delivery practices
• Experience with storage, high-availability, data management, scalable filesystems, or high performance computing environments highly desirable
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.