Senior Network Software Engineer / Orchestration
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world’s most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that’s why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what’s next.
At Cray we’re always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We’re not developing products for next quarter. We’re developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That’s how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what’s coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
Cray has an opening for a motivated and skilled Software Engineer. The Software Engineer of Network Management Software R&D will be involved in the everyday R&D efforts for developing and maintaining a software stack to manage high-speed networks. The network management stack will support the full range of Cray’s High-Performance Computing products.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Fabric Monitoring, Provisioning, Partitioning, and Topology Management
• Integration with Cray systems management framework and potentially 3rd-party software
• Develop/implement per requirements with high-performance and scalability as the primary considerations
• Participate in design with team leads, when needed
• Develop domain expertise, work cross-functionally
Background and Skills:
• B.S. required in computer science/engineering, or related field
• 5+ years of experience in software development preferably on large-scale, distributed systems
• 8+ years of development experience in networking or networking management software
• Customer-focused (both internal and external to the company)
• Ability to work well in a cooperative development environment, both within and across teams
• Ability to design and architecture software for scalable network topologies
• Abilty to design and define the scalable hardware network and software services running on top
• Experience with network capacity planning, throughput, perf, and scale diagnostics and troubleshooting
• Commitment to sound software engineering principles and full Software Development Lifecycle
• Experience building software for Network Operations deployed in a Production Datacenter
• Experience programming Edge, Gateway and Core Routers and Switches – from Cisco, Arista, Juniper, etc.
• Experience designing, deploying and integrating Fat-Tree network topologies with Network management software
• Experience deploying network software and configuration via Netconf/YANG, Puppet, Chef or other NetOps tools
• Experience in building and maintaining/supporting RESTful API platforms
• Ability to work in a variety of languages such as Go, C, C++, Java, and Python on Linux environments but will be mostly focusing on Go
• Experience using TCL, Bash, Python, Ruby and similar scripting languages to deploy, diagnose, and update software
• Experience using network protocols such as Ethernet, LLDP, LACP, ARP, DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, VLAN, BGP, EIGRP, etc
• Experience in troubleshooting skills from Networking Layer 2 through Layer 7
• Experience in Virtualization and Cloud technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Istio
• Experience in Network data modeling, with YANG and NETCONF experience is a bonus
• Experience in Software-Defined Networking, including defining services for managing routing, firewalls, network access control, network performance, network drivers
• Experience in Network infrastructure management/automation, or systems management
• Experience in Agile Development, including defining epics, features, user stories, tasks and participating in Agile/Scrum practices
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
*Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.